Sunday, April 15, 2007

Exploring My Place (pretty vague title just now: Growing Home???)

I was walking down to Hollywood Video last night. I’d seen the first bit of "National Treasure" on some cable channel and decided to avoid the commercials. On a typical Saturday night, traffic is snarled at the corner 2nd Avenue NE and 45th Street N. The cars leaving the video store lot and trying to get into Dick’s, a local hamburger joint, make getting onto the street where I live a challenge. Even so, I was thinking on that walk about what a great Seattle neighborhood Wallingford is. In the past twenty-four hours, I had walked to get groceries and takeout and a meeting with some friends. I regularly walk to book and computer stores, a major university library, a half-dozen pho shops, and a YMCA. On a clear day, my neighborhood walks and bike rides bring me to views of Mount Rainer, the Olympic Mountains, the Cascades, downtown Seattle and Lake Union; I can pick from three largish parks and a university campus if I am in the mood for green space. All these thoughts ran through my head as I found my DVD (it was free) and headed for the Shell station to pick up some Milk Duds for my wife. As I crossed 2nd, for some reason I thought, “we cannot really afford to live in this delightful place.” A one-bedroom bungalow a half-block away recently sold for above its $415,000 asking price. I love this place but cannot imagine being a homeowner, not sure if we will be able to stay long-term.

Perhaps I think too much. I admit that I worry about just how I inhabit the place I live in. Since 1981, I have changed addresses at least once every three years; I have lived in nine different counties, for as few as three but only as many as five years. I suppose my story is not that different from many of my peers, highly educated professional people who have moved around the country in pursuit of degrees and careers. But my story makes me uncomfortable. My parents have lived in the same house since 1970, and my mother’s parents lived on the same farm in the same house from 1932 until they died (1995 and 1997). My folks know the place where they live, know the streams and springs that feed their well, know when the cowslips will bloom and when the weather will change. My grandparents knew the actual birds that returned to nest in houses or trees each season; that is, they knew specific birds, could actually pick out a finch or red-tail hawk with the binoculars that always hung by the west-facing picture window. My grandfather put in that window the 1970s for the purpose of being able to see more birds. They both died on that 120 acre place in Hollaway township.

Now in Seattle, I am still trying to distinguish Douglas and Silver fir, much less the various maples native to the northwest. I know the streets in my neighborhood and the routes I ride on my bike. I can manage downtown and know enough to avoid the ‘burbs (they make me unsettled, a little queasy). But my sense of place feels anemic compared to the one held by my people. I walk to stores (many of them national chains) but do not have a feel for the soil or the fauna. Indeed, this place is all so built up and (high-end) convenient that knowing soil and fauna feels like criminal trespass. I am acquainted with my neighbors, at least enough to say hello, and my wife and I have had one or two neighbors over for dinner a few times. Our next-door neighbor watches our cats when we fly back to Wisconsin for visits—she’s from Madison; we look after her dog when she is gone (to more exotic locales usually). We have a connection with her, but it is one that really comes from a different place. So I live in a place that I love but know only it the most shallow way. I wonder what the implications are of admitting this. My parents know who they are in part because they know the place where they live. Who am I?

The minute I write that, I wonder if this is all just nostalgia. I have studied ecology and human community, have taught “learning communities.” I may not have a deep sense of belonging connected to some of the places I have lived, but I know what it means to feel “at home.” My feeling of home has to do with people, with conversations that get into meaningful topics, with afternoons on the trails around the glacier at Mt. Rainer or on the roads through Discovery Park or along County C through Ozaukee County as it parallels the Lake Michigan shore. That feeling of home can feel as intense as my childhood connection to the maple forests of Iron County, Wisconsin, but is it? I wonder. Can my transitory, relational sense of place nurture my own growth and carry me into a well-lived life the way that Hollaway Township did my grandparents. Does place do that for anyone in the urban and suburban U.S.? Because my own intuitions about place are skewed by nostalgia and guilt and because my culture is not known these days as one that cares for or about places (we care deeply about “place” when that word aims at status but not, I think, otherwise), my wonder is tinged with concern. I cannot, it seems, make a claim without hedging.

In the coming weeks, I want to explore my place in the world.

2 comments:

larkswindow said...

Prompted by the subject of "building community" while my roots are feeling a little disturbed, I've been trying to figure out of late, exactly why I'm generating resistance toward adhering myself to "a place." Is it like you've mentioned, a sort of nostalgic notion that nowhere will be home like "Home" is? I also generally think along these lines. But I went wondering today, as I sat on a picnic blanket watching my kids build dams in the sandbox of a playground. This is one of our favorite places, and not one we visit enough (it's too far away). I looked around me, from my position atop a tangled pile of legs, at the people enjoying their day. What is it that’s so wonderful about this place? Or other places I feel an intimacy toward? My memories? The relative ease of navigating services I value nearby? The proximity to my family? The aesthetic of the local surroundings? I would guess that a mixture of all these and more would be my answer.
But that's just it. There are places that I love where I've done so little to attach myself to the local community. Negligible has been my involvement, especially beyond the narrow scope of my family’s use of these places. What's that about? Laziness? Eh, not sure...but I don’t think so. What about my “Home” has made me more willing to participate personally in local events, even when I don’t still live there. Furthermore, even if I do keep active with my old neighborhood, why don’t I also seek out activities around my new residence? What keeps me from jumping in with my newly adopted community? What hit me today was that I didn't know if I would make this new place my home. I didn't know if I'd stay. And I wasn't willing to invest my energy (an emotional investment) if I would have to pick up and leave it behind. How much easier is it to pull out of a place when you're not deeply rooted? For a person like me who has a sense of “home” based on one place, one house. A home rich in memories of my family, of growing up, of parents, and of brothers. A place I still go to be with my mother, my family. When you have a history like that, it's hard to let yourself connect to another, when it's likely to simply be transitory. Leaving behind things to which you are connected hurts. It’s like breaking off bits of your life and leaving them behind. They’re pieces of your identity.
But what about these other places I love? Why not just make a choice, buy something, and settle in? And here, again, is the rub. Here in Seattle, our beautiful gem of a place, the housing prices are preventative. Even the least expensive properties are out of reach. Though you may save and save, money can’t be put away fast enough to catch up with the rising equity. So without a stable place to ground yourself in, where does that leave you? In extended transition? Well sort of huh? That’s kind of lame.
But then I remember one of my most important life lessons and consider the application. Don’t keep waiting to live your life, but pull what you can from living now and give back even more. That would mean that though I may not call my current place my home, I should treat it as if it were. Get involved as much as you can. Find ways to give and find ways to live. Know that future pain you may experience from being uprooted is directly related to the treasured memories planted by the willingness to embrace rather than avoid your community. It’s good to give back. It’s good to live fully. If we all made these kind of emotional investments more often, this would be a better place

larkswindow said...

Hey, your the writer-in-residence here. Are ya gonna write or what? I'm starting to think I'm gonna have to start reading through your textbook chapters for more material. Am I a sorry twist on a Harry Potter-esque type fan?...Ew G-d! I hope not.