Monday, February 19, 2007

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

So I woke up early last Saturday (like 5:30 AM early) thinking about some pre-writing that I had read the day before. My mind was trying to make sense of the process that seemed to be represented in that work. The writers had gotten an assignment from me that asked them to imagine a project and outline how they would proceed and how they would use the reading and writing they had completed already. Most of them completed the assignment. (No complaints there.) But I finished the batch of pre writes uninspired. In only a few of them did I hear a writer using writing to figure out her or his path. In most cases, I heard a student fulfilling an assignment.

Maybe I’m the cause (I gave the assignment). Maybe the writers I’m working with don’t use writing to figure out what they are doing. Whatever is going on, I woke up anxious about the drafts that will come in next week. If these writers aren’t planning their work, what am I going to get? What can I offer in response to writing that is unplanned? What are the chances that a writer who doesn’t plan drafting will plan rewriting and revising? If there’s little planning and reflecting, how will the writers begin to write differently?

And when will I start sleeping better?

I guess what I’m working toward here is a concern about how my students see their work as writers and how they might. Early this term, this bunch read a piece by writing teacher Nancy Sommers; they encountered her claim that writers have to be their own sources have to “bring to bear” judgment and interpretation. The pre writes I read largely avoided that sort of commitment. I didn’t see many “connections” (another word Sommers uses) made between what writers wanted to do and what they had read.

Is it unreasonable to expect first-year college writing students to play the role of writer (and especially the role of academic research writer) with some seriousness? What is the cost of their choosing not to play? It is as if a lot of students in a first-year writing courses are willing to pay tuition and even to do the work (and concede that first-year writing courses are important): they are prepared to be student writers. But do they want to be writers and researchers, individuals who take on the obligation of making connections and offering their interpretations and judgments to others? Why might someone even want to do that?

And when will I start sleeping better?

8 comments:

kassy said...

I am not a last minute type of student and i hope this showing throught out my work! i hope i dont keep you up at night and i wish u the best in luck with your sleeping problems.lol!

kassy said...

I am a student who does not leave my homework to the last minute and i hope that shows through my work. I hope my writing dosen't keep you up at night and i wish u the best of luck with your sleeping problem.

J.P. said...

I get where your coming from. Since some students may be in the routen of "oh I have to do this assignment." But you would rather have us write something completely mind blowing. That you are trying to get us out of the route. And get us thinking for our selves.

brittany said...

I read the Dont Ask Dont Tell article, and i think that students on their first year of college are still in their high school moods, and by the time we hit our second or third quarter we start to relize a little more that we cant procarstinate. Also i agree with Sommers because i like to write papers on things I am interested on not on reasearch. I like the way Sommers staes that you are reasearch as well. It makes me feel like I am contributing to my own paper; instead of someone elses words.

corey said...

it's nice to know that teacher worry about assingments as much as students do!

J.P. said...

I get where your coming from, since we as students are in the route of "I need to do this paper". And then you give what it is the requirements. But you would rather have something different. Trying make us use our heads.

kassy said...

i am not a student which leaves my homework assignments to the last minute and i hope that shows through my work. I will try not to keep you up at night, i wish you the best of luck with your sleeping problem.

tc said...

Thanks for wishing me sleep:)

Many teachers I know wake up in cold sweats thinking, "I forgot to tell them this" or "I won't have enough time to do that."