Thursday, January 04, 2007

Winter Term, 2007: Introductory Thoughts

So I’m going to use this tool to keep a sort of running response to class, but I’ll keep it here out in the open. I’m teaching a 101 (college composition) and a 102 (writing from research) this term, but I think I’ll invite students from both classes to read and respond. On one level, my goal is some sort of meta-commentary about what is going down in class. But at a deeper level, I am trying to do some writing about how school (especially college English at a community college) can or might facilitate the growth of citizens. As I was reflecting on my experience in fall 2006, I came to see the act of teaching rhetoric as closely related to the act of creating spaces wherein folks get to practice being citizens and to become better at being citizens. In coming weeks, I’ll try to tease out what I might mean by “citizen” (I’m reading an interesting book on that topic just now).

I’ll start here by thinking a bit about the first day. I’m typically impressed the first time I meet students by how aware they are and by how they are trying to negotiate a productive space in the classroom. I think that too many teachers (myself included) forget that for many students, being a student is not a primary role or interest. Teachers put a great deal of effort into preparing classes and see the work of their classes as serious. Students see the classroom from . . ., well lots of other perspectives. I almost always like the vibe that develops the first day, as I try to convince students to take over the classroom and find their place. Still, there are always a few students who, for reasons as diverse as they are, find ridiculous the notion of making the classroom their own space. I am particularly interested this term in allowing and enabling learners to be “active” (my College’s word). We’ll see how this evolves.

No comments: